The EEI must be filed with shipments from the U.S., Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands to foreign destinations; between the U.S. and Puerto Rico; and from the U.S. or Puerto Rico to the U.S. Virgin Islands, if any of the following applies:
- Shipment of merchandise under the same Schedule B commodity number is valued at more than US$2,500 and is sent from the same exporter to the same recipient on the same day. (Note: Shipments to Canada from the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.)
- The shipment contains merchandise, regardless of value, that requires an export license or permit.
- The merchandise is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), regardless of value.
- The shipment, regardless of value, is being sent to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria.
- The shipment contains rough diamonds, regardless of value (HTS 7102.10, 7102.21 and 7102.31).